Skip to main content

College Credit Courses

College Credit Programs

College Credit Program


Following the sophomore year of high school, students may be eligible to earn college credits, for example from Northeast Texas Community College. Any student or parent interested in detailed information should contact the Avinger High School counselor.

Students who have completed their sophomore year may apply to a college that allows concurrent enrollment and enroll in classes for dual or concurrent credit. “Dual credit” means students who pass a specific college course will be given both college credit and high school credit. The college course must cover all areas of the high school course, but at a higher level. For this reason, some college courses will only count as one semester of a high school class. The following classes at Northeast Texas Community College are accepted for dual credit for the indicated high school courses.

NTCC Course ID NTCC Course Title HS Course Equiv

ENGL 1301 English Composition I ½ cr English IV
ENGL 1302 English Composition II ½ cr English IV
SPCH 1311 Fundamentals of Speech ½ cr Communication Application
BCIS 1305 Business Computer Application 1cr Technology Applications
GOVT 2305 American National Government ½ cr Government
ECON 2301 Macroeconomics ½ cr Economics
HIST 1301  History of US to 1877 ½ cr US History
HIST 1302  History of US since 1877 ½ cr US History
PSYC 1301 Introduction to Psychology ½ cr elective
SOCI 1301  Introduction to Sociology 1/2 cr elective
MATH 2312  Precalculus 1 cr Precalculus
MATH 1314  College Algebra 1cr Independent Study Mathematics

Other courses may be approved for Advanced Measures or College Credit but must be approved in advance by the high school counselor.
The student must apply for admission to NTCC and meet all admission requirements. A course request form must be completed and approved by the school counselor. To be eligible to enroll in any other college class and be awarded credit toward state graduation requirements, a student shall have the approval of the high school principal or other school official designated by the District.